Thursday 23 February 2017

Clement Enajemo speaks on how Mudi became a mega brand



Clement Enajemo, popularly known as Mudi is a creative and unique designer who specializes in the creation of male clothing which include casual, corporate and traditional attires with high quality material which are of international standard and not common. His brand, Mudi, has a very rich clientele list of professionals, entertainers, sports personalities, technocrats and government officials, captains of industries, among many others. His creations have won him recognition and awards which include Best African male designer of the year 2003 and City People Best Male designer of the year 2005 and two awards from Encomium Magazine recently. With over 25 years of experience in the fashion industry, he has surpassed the expectations of his clients by providing them with outstanding and world class designs. Mudi is determined to satisfy his clients. According to him, “we have a fantastic record of excellence in our works and that has won us different awards both within and outside Nigeria”. Mudi is an organization with a mission to make clothes developed to reflect creativity and accomplished work force and its vision is to be among the 10 best designers of the world and also the very best in Africa. He opens up on why the Mudi brand has come to stay.
How did your love for designing begin?
When I was young, my mum used to make us look good by buying nice clothes for all her children, unlike a lot of people who never had the opportunity to wear first class clothes and had to make do with the second hand ones. I grew up with that instinct. In my school days, I was the best in art work. That created the passion and the love for what I do today.
How will you describe your personal style and creative work?
Egocentric, simple but elegant and that remains my philosophy which reflects in my work.
If you were not a designer, what would you have become?
An interior designer because I love using my hands to work and to construct and also have a serious passion for football.
How did your label, Mudi, come about?
It is an abbreviation of my native names- Clement Mudiaga Enajemo, ‘Mudi is coined from Mudiaga which means ‘Stand firm’.
What are your personal views about the Nigerian fashion industry, do you think we have come of age?
Yes, we have, because clothes made in the last five years, cannot be compared with the ones made today. The same also applies with the Italian wear. There is an improvement in our fashion though a lot of people make mockery of our work. But the business men and women who call themselves fashion designers are not there just for money but also for the glamour.
Which world celebrity will you like to clothe?
David Beckham, maybe because of his structure which fits well into clothes.
You have some exotic automobiles in your possession, are you a car freak?
Yes, because I work so hard which makes me want to drive good cars.
What don’t you like about yourself?
Nothing, though I’m not perfect, I am contented with myself.
What has been your greatest disaster in the industry?
None for now, earlier I said there is a greater improvement in what I design now compared to before. I can say for now, there is nothing.
Describe the sexist outfit in your wardrobe?
Wow! What a question? Indeed, my three-quarter pants and gladiator sandals!
Why are there so many designers on the scene now?
I think it’s the flare for the job, having the talent to create and design; secondly, the fame and the glamour that are attached to it and thirdly, the money. Some people get into this work and when there is no money coming forth, they back out. The most dangerous aspect is when success begins to come, one is carried away by the glamour. A fashion designer must be focused and disciplined.
What is your projection in the next five years?
I want Mudi Africa to be a global brand that rules the fashion world


No comments:

Post a Comment