Thursday 6 April 2017

Damilola Oyetti speaks on why he wants to be next chairman of Ifako-Ijaye Local Government Area





DamilolaOyetti is a chairmanship aspirant in Ifako-Ijaiye Local Government Area on the platform of All Progressives Congress (APC). In this interview with selected Journalists. He opens up on various issues including the real reason he wants to be the next chairman of Ifako-Ijaiye Local Government Area.
Sir, can we meet you officially?
My name is DamilolaOyetti. I am a professional in the ICT Industry with over 15 years of professional work experience. I specialize in IT Support, Computer Repairs, Network Engineering, Application and Software Development. Sometimes ago around year 2000 /2001 I was part of a team of programmers that was deployed to create a Database Solution for Ministry of Education to manage and keep records of their employees and while doing soi was able to detect ghost workers from the ministry. I have also been able to provide IT Support to several companies here in Lagos on Software and Hardware related issues affecting employees of these organization to perform their duties and responsibility effectively and conveniently and these has made my clients repeat customers over the years.
Why do you want to join politics?
Yes, I join politicsdue to the situation in the country today. As we all know that many people hardly have access to basic amenities, lack of jobs has become order of the day. Masses become hopeless while it seems like there is no future for our children. So I cannot affordto continuecomplaining about Nigerian government when I amnot participating in politics. Some of us decided to leave our comfort zones in orderto use our expertise and technical know-how to make a difference.
If you are opportune to become the chairmanof your local government today, what are those things you think are wrong that you want to put right?
The way things are done by most of our leaders, you will agree with me that alot needs to be corrected. In this present time; leaders aresuppose to know their followers, but in Nigeria I don’t think any leader know the people they govern. So as an IT expert I will introduce a platform were we will collate the data of people living within the local government area of IfakoIjaiye for instance i like to know the number of Vulcanizers, Shoe cobblers or Mechanicsetc withinIfako-Ijaiye LG.There will be constant programs for the youths to keep them busy because they say an idle mind is the devils workshop. If the youths in the society are abandoned, they will get involved in all manners of criminal activities and this will become a security threat in our society.
How is your relationship with the people of Ifako- Ijaiye?
I have a cordial relationship with the good people of IfakoIjaiye.  They know me and I know them well. We interact every day by day so they see me as an exceptional among all other contestants. Being close to them, makes me feel their pain and worries so this has made me know what they want. Most of them feel insecure and uncomfortable with the way things are done in the Country.The people wants an alternative. If am being giving the opportunity and be elected into the Government, I will work hard to fulfil my promises and also meet peoplesneeds.
How is your political strength at the grassroots?
I am a grassroots politician. I belong to the grassroots. Anything that is affecting me right now is affecting the grassroots also.
Most of Nigerian politicians today believe so much in antecedent, what can you say to this?
Well, sometimes in 2003 I contested for Lagos State House of Assembly at age of 26 on the platform of Nigeria Advance Party (NAP). I was the youngest aspirant in Lagos State as at that time. Although I didn’t win the election may be I was not fully preparedor in the wrong party then. Aftermath I decided to stay away from active politics to face my business till recently I decided to come back again. But all these while I stay close to my people at the grassroots and interact with them constantly to know what their problems are.
Every political aspirant needs a godfather.do you have any?
Well in Nigeria politics that is the way it is. You see situations where candidate are been imposed against the wish of the people. That is one of the things I wishto bring into Nigeria politics. When you allow godfather in your political system you will agree with me that wrong people will continue to occupy the seat of power and we will not have a strong political institution.  I am contesting because I have the support of my people thatdesire to havequality leadership to represent them which I believe I possess.
Who Isyour role model in politics?  
Nelson Mandela. He fought forwhat he believed in and when he eventually got it, he was so passionate in liberating his people from leadership bondage. In Nigeria of today hence, our leaders got what they wanted they forget about the people and start to enrich themselves.
Since you don’t have any godfather, what is your financial strength to achieve your ambition and the chance of getting the party ticket?
In my own case is not a do or die affair but I want to let people know that I can do it better if given a chance. The point is mystrength lays on the youths. If I have the backing of youths in my Local Government then I fear no one that has godfather. We all know that as far as Nigeria politics is concerned money plays major role there is no doubt about that. Well, I don’t have money like those Nigeria politicians to buy votes but am sure Ican deliver.
Nigerian politicians are known for promises they cannot fulfill how do you intend to avoid this mistake when voted in?
Nigeria problem is a very simple one that can easily be solved. My Government is not just for friends and family rather is for people capable to do the job for the sake of the masses. There are many youths out there that have the ability to solve problems but are not giving a chance to show off what they are capable of. Why our country continue to have same problem is that, proper structure is not built. Today, the people are still crying for basic amenities in their communities there is no infrastructure on ground. Since I was born 40 years ago I don’t think that we have constant electricity in this country. As a nation we cannot continue this way and believe that things willgetbetter.
What is that new thing do you intend to bring into governance of Ifako- Ijaiye if elected?
I will ensure that I bridge the gap between government and the great people of Ifako-Ijaiye. Don’t forget that I am IT expert and I have been into the profession for over 15 years. Since then, I have work for many corporate organizations, government agencies solving their problems. I will ensure that the people of Ifako –Ijaiye; interact with me on daily basis. My people don’t need to come to my office before they drop they complains, suggestions and observations.  My government is going to create a portal where all issues will beaddressed and attended to accordingly. If you want to be part of my government, you just login to council portal.It Is not necessary we must know you in person before you can be able to have access to our financial empowerment to kick off your business. There is no way you can defraud the system and if you try it you will get arrested. So by the time you create this kind of innovative idea for people most especially the youths, definitely they will change for better.
How do you intend to address the issue of poverty in your local government area?
Poverty alleviation will be the most priority in my government.When people are hungry they will not listen to you. It only when people are satisfied before they can think normal.We are going to encourage every family in this council to allow their children between the age of 18- 35 to acquire a skill so that the government will empower them. By putting those policies in proper shape; in return the government will also make more money from those beneficiaries because they still pay their tax. Some council chairmen will be telling you that there is no money in the council to initiate project, and I ask whatyou have done to generate money to the council. Most of them only wait for oil money to come and share. By the time the money comes and they havecollected it, they will go and sleep waiting for the next one. With that style of governance you cannot achieve anything ratherthan running a failed government.
How do you intend to increase the Internal Generated Revenue of the Council without multiple taxation?
That will be done in so many ways. All through my life I have been an entrepreneur, I have never been a salary earner.  First thing I will do is to collate data of all residences of Ifako-Ijaiye to known actual number of people that live here. Likewise, we will know numbers of shops that operate within the council. This era of I.T it is very difficult to impose people with multiple taxes. There must be a proper documentation and record to make this possible. If you are doing business within Ifako- Ijaiye territory you need to get your business, home and property registered and it is only those that we have their records in our propose Database that will benefit from the activities of my government.
As a politician, what is your philosophy of life?
Liberate the people. If people are living comfortably, you as their leader is secured. You can move freely on the street without watching your back.
What are your plans to creating   more jobs for the people of Ifako?
We all know that oil is drastically going down and this government in its wisdomis trying to diversify the economy, which is the best way to revive our economy. So my government is going to key in to that laudable idea of the federal government at least touching all areas of our economy.  We are going to encourage those who are interested in agriculture, skill acquisition and empowerment to train our indigenes in difference field such as tailoring, hairdressing, I.T construction etc. I believe we can do a lot of things that can create multiple jobs to my people which will definitely eradicate poverty from the area.
Sir,what is that your most difficult moment, that you will never want anybody to experience?
In my own case is different because I think fast and very quick in arriving at my decisions. Throughout my life I can call it a smooth journey and also rough journey. Sometimes ago while I was atOAU I took a decision to go and acquire a skill. Before then I was so popular moving with different friends, it came to a point I discovered that I needed to do something new. So I took a decision to acquire a skill in I.T, I told my father of what I intended to do; at first, he was so mad at my decision but I try to convince him to know the benefits of my decision. Both of us went to NIIT Education and Learning Centre to see what was obtainable. On gettingthere; he fell in love with the program and he paid my tuition fees to start. I was so serious with it to ensure that I know every secret in that field.  I was the firstperson that discovered ghost workers in Ministry of Education in 2000(A Project sub contracted to NIIT which I was part of the team that went to deploy the solution). With the exposure of that time, it encouraged me to do more then I told myself that with this I can be able to solve many problems confronting our society. So I have been a contributor or product to every community I find myself. I encourage every youth to at least have a skill, it is very important. Is not necessary in I.T but whatever you have passion for. I value those that have skill than a graduate on the street because they are solutions provider but graduate add to problems with too many theory no action. It is time for us to start thinking outside the box to make life meaningful to the people.
What do you have to say about the President Buhari led government?
I know that recession is in the country but I personally never feel it the way other people are feeling it because I make myself so relevant in the society. I cannot because of my status in the society deprive myself of doing what I can do to feed my family. I don’t see anything wrong with government of  PresidentBuhari. When he contested in 2003 I supported for him because I see him as a very discipline person. Buhari is not a type that will negotiate with people for something he believe in.
Are you satisfied with his anti-corruption crusade? 
The anti-corruptionprogramme of this government is fantastic and lovely. The way it is being operate is neither witch hunting anybody nor convicting people without acting according to the law. We must show a kind of seriousness in some things we do in our government. Looking at what is happening in the senate where they are insisting that the custom boss must appear before them in uniform that shows the kind of unserious mind that gathered themselves in the senate. Your dressing alone will determine if you can do the job. My tenure in  the council I will also address that issue. How can one come to work withAgbada?  That shows that you are not ready for the job. If you want to wear your Agbada, you can do that during your party or your private activity.
What did you learn from your father?
My father is a disciplinarian, hardworking and an entrepreneur. I grew up under his watch, so I learned every bit of my lifestyle from him; not that I am rich but I can say I am contented with what I have now.
What is your advice to the people of Ifako-Ijaiye and what should they expect from you if elected?
They should go for genuine leader. Don’t allow them to deceive you with their Greek gift; you should be aware that after they got what they are looking for you will not have access to them again. Thank God people are aware that most of our leaders visit them every four years when they are looking for support. My advice to the people of Ifako-Ijaiye is that they should be calm,Damilola is coming and they will never regret supporting me.

1 comment: