Thursday 1 December 2016

Cancellation of Post JAMB May Spell Doom For National Development-Adams Adebola, Proprietor, Adams College



Adams Adebola is the Proprietor and CEO of Adams College, Mafoluku, Oshodi, Lagos, one of the world class educational institutions in Nigeria. In this interview, first class graduate of OAU bares his mind on various issues including success story of Adams College, state of the nation and various educational policies of government. According to him cancellation of Post JAMB examinations may spell doom for national development. Excerpts.
What stands out Adams College among its contemporaries?
What stands us out is passion for excellence that we have, in our school we don’t embrace malpractices as malpractices is common in some schools nowadays. We prepare our students and give them what they need to stand on their own when they get into various universities.
What are the various classes and programmes in the school?
We run various programme for students who are going into universities. We run entrance examinations like JAMB, we also run WAEC programme for fresh students and for those who do not do well in their earlier attempt. We also run SAT/TOEFL programme for those who want to study outside the country like US, UK and Canada. We also have various programmes for JSS and SSS students.
How is the journey so far?
It is a nice journey, but sometimes when you have a vision there may be some obstacles on the way. There are lots of policies that are anti progressive for educational sector. For instance, cancellation of Post JAMB exam may spell doom for our national development because we are the people that want Post JAMB to be on. We want the universities to get the best hands that can go to school. Cancelation of Post JAMB is a way of supporting those who are involved in malpractices.
How did Adams College start? 
It came out as a child of circumstances because I went to Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU). During the period that lecturers were on strike, I came out and I wanted to help students that were in need and I brought them together and taught them. The strike lasted for about three to four months and that gave me lots of passion that I can do this. After the strike when I was going back to school a parent said: “Oh, we love this thing, why don’t you put the structure down when you are back from school you can always meet them and continue”. Also, I have passion to help the youths to achieve their goals. We have our products all over the country.
Can you tell us about quality of teachers in the college?
This is not a college where people use drop out to teach, all our teachers are graduates, we don’t even use undergraduate. We have master degree holders and those who are lecturing in tertiary institutions. We have people that can always give the best when it comes to teaching.
What is the assessment of your students in their final exams?
It has been lovely, they perform lovely. I have lots of album of various matriculations I have attended. The last I attended was University of Lagos where 188 products of Adams College did matriculation. I have attended the one in UI and University of Ilorin, I have been attending. We do have about 150 students yearly from here entering a particular university without malpractice.
How do you sustain excellent standard you are known for?
We don’t lose our focus; our focus is to get the student well prepared. We always give them what they need to stand on their own when they get to their various universities. In addition to quality teaching, we also mentor our students. We relate with them one on one to find out the challenge they have and proffer solutions. It is a family thing, even on campuses Adams products are always together and united.
What do you think is the cause of decline in standard of education in Nigeria?
Just lack of focus. Government has lost focus, when you get to some public schools you find out that there is no infrastructure. You will find out that there is no furniture, roof is leaking and laboratory and library are not well equipped. Graduates cannot even speak good grammar. There is corruption everywhere; there is corruption also in educational sector. We hear government is pumping millions into educational sector but not reflecting in the standard of education. I implore government to provide infrastructure for public educational institutions.
What does it cost to run a successful private educational institution?
It costs passion and it costs interest, you don’t run into it just because you want money, if you don’t have passion and interest you may make the money but you may not produce quality students. It is a compassionate thing; you need to identify with those students to feel their challenges. Some of the students nowadays are distracted and I keep telling them that their distraction is their destruction.
What are the areas you want government to assist private investors in education?
Government must have progressive policies. Government should always make wide consultations with various stakeholders before coming out with educational policies. Government should assist private investors in education with progressive policies. They look at some of us running schools like this as a touts. I have first class in Computer Engineering from OAU; I have passion for what I’m doing.
Can you tell us experience and background that has prepared you for this venture?
When I graduated from OAU I was given a job because I made first class. I decided to invest in education because I have passion for it. I also did Educational Administration and planning in University of Lagos at Post Graduate level. That has also helped me.
Can one say that your parental background prepared you for your passion to train youths for better tomorrow?
That is very difficult to say because my parents are illiterates; they did not go to school at all. I think it is an ingenuity I just have personally. I developed that since when in was in primary school, then I started solving mathematics on the board. When I became prefect in my school I was always helping junior students’ educational wise. That was how I developed my skills, I love teaching and I obeyed the clarion call to be a teacher.
What is your philosophy of life?
My philosophy is that whatever worth doing at all is worth doing well. What you love doing should be your job, I love teaching and that is my job. I want to advise people that what they love doing should actually be their job.




No comments:

Post a Comment